The next phase of peace talks will begin on January 5 as both sides have exchanged proposals of the agenda.
Taliban’s political office spokesman Dr. Mohammad Naeem and government negotiating team member Nader Nadery issued a joint statement in this regard.
Earlier in the month, the two delegations had agreed on procedural rules for the talks. After their agreement, they held three meetings on the agenda of the negotiations.
Naeem tweeted: “The two negotiating teams traded the preliminary lists of agenda items and conducted preparatory discussions on the issues to be taken up. Further consultations are needed to firm up the agenda.”
The Taliban spokesman added: “Both sides agreed on taking a 21-day break from December 14. The negotiations would start on January 5”
He wrote both delegations thanked the Qatari state and people for their hospitality and providing the required facilities.”
Nadery also said both parties had shared initial lists of agenda items and conducted preliminary discussions on the subject.
Since the agenda items needed further consultations, Nadery said they had agreed to rise for the break and enter the second round of talks on January 5, 2021.
“We thank the people and state of Qatar for their generous hospitality and prevision of facilitates fo the negotiators.”
On Saturday, a member of the government’s delegation, who declined to be named, told Pajhwok they would travel to Kabul this week.
Members of both teams, who had not met their family members over the past few months, planned to take the break, he said.
A Qatar-based diplomatic source, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the break, saying the government team would travel to Kabul on a special flight this week.
On the other hand, a source in the High Council of National Reconciliation, told Pajhwok the break in parleys was based on an agreement between the two sides.
The source added both delegations had agreed on the break. But a final decision was yet to be taken, the council member explained.